Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Will you wear a cross or bear a cross?

23 And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [[a]disown himself, [b]forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, [c]refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [[d]cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also].(Luke 9:23(Amp)

This past Sunday during the sermon a quote was read. This quote has played again and again in my mind. "It is much easier to wear a cross than to bear a cross."~Leonard Ravehill If you look around, you will see a cross displayed on just about everyones neck. It has became more of a fashion statement and less of a representation of our faith. To bear His cross is what we are called to do as His disciples. This is not always easy or comfortable, but it is always necessary. 


In order to bear that cross we must deny ourselves. The word in the text that echoes very loudly is daily. We are to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily. Next in the text the important key to being able to do this is written. That important key is to follow Christ. There is no way we will be able to deny ourselves and pick up our cross on our own. Oh, but there is power in following Him. There is confidence and hope in knowing that the one we are following is able to keep us from falling. 24 Now to Him Who is able to keep you without stumbling or slipping or falling, and to present [you] unblemished (blameless and faultless) before the presence of His glory in triumphant joy and exultation [with unspeakable, ecstatic delight]—

When I think about the word bear, I think of child birth. I think of bearing a child or bringing forth fruit. Denying ourselves, picking up our cross, and following Christ will bring forth fruit in our lives. The more we give up of ourselves the more we gain our identity in Him. It is very empowering to know that daily we have the oppurtunity to be right where we need to be by making sure our minds, our hearts, and our feet are following Jesus. It is a choice that only we can make. It is a desire of our will. 

Living over seas for the past 3 years has taught me to stretch out of my comfort zone. I have been stretched especially when it comes to driving places that I am unfamiliar with. I have learned to rely on my gps to be able to direct me to where I need to go. I am so relieved when I hear the gps talk to me and say recalculating! I get anxious sometimes when it seems like it is taking forever, even though it only takes seconds for it to put me back on the right track. Don't you know we are the same way with God? When we veer off of track and are in a wilderness, we get anxious and it may feel like it is taking forever for God to lead us back in the right direction. I came to remind you today my friend, that God is desiring to place your feet back on the right path. He is longing to see you deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow after Him in every area of your life! Choose today to not just wear a cross but to bear a cross.

I want to end this blog today with touching and agreeing with you. I pray that your desire and your will come together on today and that you will experience the fullness of God's presence. That you will be reminded of how amazing it feels to abide in God's presence! Today, lay aside every weight that so easily draws your attention away from the Master. I pray that on today you will have a mind that is made up. A mind that is steadfast. That on today you will make a choice to stand for righteousness by releasing your need to be in control. Father I thank you for my sister or brother that took the time to read this and that is allowing you to touch them right now. In the mighty name of Jesus, amen! If you do not know Jesus, and you are feeling an amazing stirring on the inside. Won't you make the greatest decision of your life on today and ask Him into your heart as your personal savior? 

No comments:

Post a Comment