Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Who do you say God is?

Who do you say that I am? That is quite an interesting question isn't it? When you are intimate with someone you expect their response to be different from everyone else. You expect for them to know who you are without a shadow of a doubt. If I was to ask a stranger, "Who do you think I am." I am sure I would get all kind of answers. That is kinda the same way it is in the body of Christ. There are too many in the body of Christ who do not know who God is for themselves. They do not know who He is without a shadow of a doubt. They go off of what they heard or what they read, but not what they have encountered or experienced!

Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them,“Who do people say I am?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.”~Mark8-27-29  I love how Jesus started out by asking the disciples, "Who do the people say that I am?" After He heard some of the responses He asked Peter, "Who do you say that I am?" Peter responded, "You are the Messiah!" That brings me to this question again, "Who do "you" say that God is?" Who is He to you? Do you know with out a shadow of a doubt who He is in your life? Are you able to answer with confidence of who He is? Is your answer based off of who your husband, wife, mom, dad, brother, sister, friend, or neighbor says that God is? Do you know who God is for yourself?

Do you know that He is the great I am? Do you know that He is the prince of peace? Do you know that He is the alpha and omega? Do you know that He is a way maker? Do you know that He is the way, the truth, and the light? Do you know that He is a mind regulator? Do you know that He has all power in His hands? Do you know that He is the bright and morning star? Do you know that He is the author and finisher of our faith? Do you know that in Him we live, move and have our being? Do you know that He is a refuge? Do you know that He is a strong tower? Do you know that He is a fence all around us everyday? Do you know that He can do all things but fail? Do you know that He can not lie? Do you know that His joy gives us strength? Who do you say God is?

His word declares that God is an ever present help in the time of trouble! "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."~Psalm46:1 Ever present lets us know that He is always there. He reminds us in His holy word that He will never leave us nor forsake us! Be strong and courageous. "Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”~Deuteronomy31:6 What an awesome promise from God! He does not stop there y'all. God goes on to let us know that no matter where we are He will be there with us. Don't take my word for it. It is in His holy word. David lets us know no matter how high or low we are God is there.  "If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there."~Psalm139:8 How encouraging it is to know what the word says that God is!

Don't let your experiences with God be based on someone else. Don't allow the only encounters that you have had with God be the ones that you have read or heard about! Take the time today to dig into His word and find out who He is for yourself. Take the time to ask Him to consume you with His love and compassion. His word declares that He is a consuming fire. I don't know about you but I have never met anyone who has been consumed with fire and not been changed. I don't know anyone who has been consumed by fire and not walked away with a testimony! I don't know anyone who has been consumed with the fire of God and not known for themselves who God is! Let today be the day that God shows you even more of who He is. Let today be the day that causes you to ask yourself, "Who do I say that God is?"

No comments:

Post a Comment